sqsl Temp is a conceptual ambient MIDI sequencer for iPad. It has 3 independent layers (ABC). Each layer consists of 10 slots divided into 2 groups. Slots contain settings and parameters of 5 tracks. Tracks can be 16 steps long and triggers can be placed on steps, resulting in monophonic MIDI note message or alternative event (see below).
- Layer paramaters: transport (play/pause), MIDI output, clock speed, semitone shift (transposition), Alt mode, Hold mode, global lock/per track locks, global mute/per track mute, octave transposition.
- Single-value track parameters: track length, track start, clock skipping probability, random jump probability, random step probability, clock division.
- Multiple-value track parameters: semitone and octave, velocity, gate length, MIDI channel (1-8), MIDI channel offset (+8), Alt event, note delay.
When parameter has multiple values selected (multiple-value track parameter), algorithm will randomly pick one of the values each time playhead encounters a trigger. If Lock is activated, the parameters are preserved and are not re-generated on new track pass. Parameters can be adjusted for: current slot, group of slots (5S button), current slot on all layers (3L button), group of slots on all layers (5S and 3L button).
When Alt mode is active, alternate events (instead of note messages) are generated. Alternate events include: flip Hold mode, turn of Hold mode, advance slot in the group, advance slot in the group in reverse direction, go to first slot, go to random slot in the group, change slot group. When HOLD mode is active, note-off messages are not sent - currently playing or future notes are held (tracks are monophonic). When Mute mode is active, track’s MIDI output is muted.
- Temp does not make any sounds on its own, it generates MIDI messages (notes and clock).
- Temp will not work in background mode (e.g. when other application is open and in focus).
- Temp does not save - all patterns are temporary and you always start from scratch.
- Temp does not synchronise to incoming external MIDI clock but is able to generate MIDI clock signal (clock/start/continue/stop) so other devices and application can be synced to temp.
- Temp was designed for full-size iPads and is not recommended for iPad Mini users.