The project RIVER2RIVER is co-funded by the European Union and by National Funds of the participating countries under the Cooperation Programme "INTERREG-IPA CBC GREECE-ALBANIA 2014-2020"
The RIVER2RIVER project’s overall objective is in full accordance with the programme’s specific objective of the thematic priority in which belongs: To Increase the effectiveness of environmental protection & sustainable use of natural resources, focusing in CB the river environments of Metsovo (GR) and Himara (AL) as case studies. More specific, the objectives of the project are:
• To promote cross-border cooperation and improvement of knowledge through the exchange of know-how on water monitoring/management and capacity building regarding the requirements of the WFD,
• To promote a Cross-border Innovative and Sustainable Water Governance as a critical area through which to improve the sustainable development of water resources and services,
• To apply Mild/Environmentally-Friendly techniques for Restoration of Native Fish Species in Riverine Ecosystems
• To undertake Small-scale CB restoration actions for surface waters’ attainment of ecological flow at Metsovo’s urban streams and Himara’s Visha river.
• To raise environmental protection awareness concerning “fragile” aquatic ecosystems,
• To raise awareness of selected target groups (i.e. water managers, farmers, land users etc.) and to ensure communication and cooperation among partners and among stakeholders of both countries aimed at sustainable management and use of the riverine ecosystems